Monday, May 2, 2011

Humble Pie

Well I just got done adding a new post and here I am adding another one. Reason being this: I just posted about my kids fighting and whining (both of which they are doing as I sit here and type this) but in the middle of all of that I witnessed a moment I never want to forget.

Weston and Saydi were in Saydi's room reading books. Imagine my surprise when I then hear Weston saying a prayer and I look to find them both sitting in there with their arms folded, praying together. Weston said, "amen" and then "ok Saydi, go night-night". My little mommy heart nearly burst with pride.

And I realized, not for the first time, my kids are always watching. There's a hymn that talks about "angels silent notes taking" and I need to remember that in our home those angels are my children. Yes, they went right back to fighting. But hey, they're kids, what can I expect? What's important is that I continue to show them how they are supposed to behave and wait for the blessed day when they make that choice all on their own to do it. Time for me to expect more from myself and less from them.

5 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

becky's baby is so cute!! :) I love saydi's "homeless" look-although she never looks that way when i see her! :)

The Ericksons said...

That is so sweet! I think you already expect plenty of yourself. And you're obviously doing something right if your kids are praying on their own!

The Stones said...

You're such a good mom! They have a great example of the type of person to be. What a sweet little memory. Love it!

Andrew and Steph said...

That is the cutest memory and great that you have a blog to write it down and remember it. Speaking of blog I'm glad you have one because I get to stay up to date with your family as well. That's awesome that Becky had a girl! She's so cute and a big change from having all boys! I love the Easter pictures too. Cute little family!

Brett and Cherice said...

What a great little moment:) Love the pictures. Becky's baby is a cutie and Saydi's hair is hilarious! Love the family picture, especially Saydi's fish face:)