Monday, December 12, 2011

"I'm Fo Yeas Old!"

(I'm looking your way Amanda...) =)
Yes, it's true. My firstborn is FOUR years old as of the 10th! I was really worried this might be the worst birthday ever because two days before, he, Saydi and Mark had the barfs and it was not a good time to be had at our joint. But everyone was feeling well enough to celebrate, if not completely up to par so it turned out to be a good day!
Weston opened his presents in the morning and he loved what he got! He's watched Cars 2 several times now and the first thing he does every morning is play with his ninja turtles.
He didn't have his presents opened for two minutes before he offered Saydi one of his motorcycle ninja turtles to play with. He sure is a good big brother!
We had cake after lunch since Mark had to go to work that night. It was tragically simple but everyone getting sick threw a kink in my plans of figuring out how to do something more fun for him. But Weston picked everything out from the cake, to the frosting, to the color of the candles and the writing and at the end of the day he told me it was his favorite part of the day. So I guess sometimes less really is more. =)
After dinner that night we sent daddy off to work and loaded up in the car after baths to go look at Christmas lights-everyone's favorite birthday tradition! The kids loved it! They got a little impatient with some of the driving around in between though. Once, we turned around in a cul-de-sac and Weston yelled, "We're trapped!" Hilarious. And when we got to the Klingler house in Ammon with the light show synchronized to music he informed me that the lights were "dancing". Smart boy. I love seeing the world through his eyes.

Weston's birthday is the perfect opportunity for me to start wrapping up my blog for the year and post a little bit about each of my kids and what they have accomplished this year. So, Weston first!
-He is still painfully shy (as shown above) but is getting better and is very open and friendly with other kids his age or size. It's the adults that get him!
-He doesn't have the alphabet memorized in order but he knows every single letter by sight and the sounds that almost all of them make.
-He gets himself completely dressed with the exception of struggling with his socks and zippers still. My favorite thing is that he'll pick out his own clothes and he always only picks ensembles that I have previously put together! I love that I can trust him to pick his own things out! ;)
-He is and forever will be, I'm certain, the best big brother ever! Mark and I talk all the time about how obvious it is that he was meant to be our firstborn. He is so incredibly nurturing and loving to his siblings. (Don't get me wrong...the fights and mean behavior are there too, especially since starting preschool, but he is more nurturing then any other four year old boy I've seen!)
-He LOVES going to school and has lots of friends.
-He also loves primary and going to class. It is so fun for me to be in there with him and see him learn and finally participate in singing and doing actions, etc. He is one of the more reverent kids in his class and it makes me very happy to see him behave.
-He loves to say the prayer and says it on his own. Never forgetting to pray for the missionaries and the military.
-He still struggles with his speech and at the recommendation of his preschool teacher he is getting evaluated on the 5th to see if he should be in speech therapy. I'm pretty sure I already know what the outcome will be but we will see.
-He likes Super Why, Go Diego Go, trains, cars, trucks, balls and all that other boy stuff. He is obsessed with cheese and other favorite foods include: olives, grapes, mandarin oranges, pancakes, oatmeal, chili and pizza.
-He dislikes potatoes unless they are mashed or occasionally baked, milk, pineapple, apples and eggs.
-He has a fabulous imagination.
-He is great at picking up all of his toys completely on his own.

It is both difficult and incredibly rewarding to see Weston lose all his baby-ness and become a big boy. He is just the sweetest boy and truly, I thank my lucky stars that he is mine and hope and pray every day that I'm not messing him up too badly! We are so grateful to have him in our family! We love you Weston!

4 comments:

Andrew and Steph said...

That is crazy Jen that you have a 4 year old! Time flies! But it looks like Weston is so well behaved and the best older brother. He's such a sweetie! I'm glad you guys are having fun and enjoying this time of year.

The Ericksons said...

He looks like such a big boy in that first picture, it makes me want to cry! He really is a sweet little guy! Glad he had a fun day.

Brett and Cherice said...

Happy Birthday Weston! What a cute big boy! You did great on his birthday Jen, he looks like he had a great time:)

Stewart Family said...

What cute kids you have! I think simple is better, well most of the time! A 4 year old! I can't believe it, he sure is cute, along with your other 2!