Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A New Perspective

Last night I got on Facebook for the first time in months and I found out that a boy that I knew from primary when I was primary president passed away. He was 9 years old and was involved in a tubing accident and died within a few short hours. The thing about this sweet boy, Max, is that he was truly the most amazing little boy I've ever met. He knew more about the gospel at age 7 then most adults. He always had the most awe inspiring answers to our questions and he was kind to everyone around him. Once he came to our house with his dad, who was our home teacher, and he accidentally spilled a candle and got wax on our carpet and a stuffed dog. He cried and was broken hearted because he felt so bad about it and he just kept apologizing. He was truly special in every way.

I have pretty much been crying non-stop since finding out and suddenly everything looks different to me. I can't believe I have been complaining about weeding a huge garden when Ryan and Leanne Harris are getting ready to bury their firstborn tomorrow. I am ashamed at myself for being so impatient because my kids don't do what I ask them to do as soon as I ask them to do it when it may be one of the last things they hear me say to them. My heart aches at the thought that such unexpected accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, any time. I'm truly blessed that I have not had to deal with any trials of this kind in my own life, thus far. Every day is a gift and I realize now that I need to try my hardest every day to not sweat the small stuff and just focus on what really matters - my family and the gospel. The rest is just STUFF. It doesn't matter. It gets in the way. Who cares if my baseboards are scrubbed and my furniture is dusted? It doesn't matter. I know I'll have relapses, probably lots, but I am determined to learn from this tragedy and realize what the important things in life are.

3 comments:

Brett and Cherice said...

Jen, sorry to hear about that sweet little boy. Thanks for the post:) Everything else is just STUFF like you said, but it is so hard to keep that in mind sometimes, but it is always a great thing to be working on:) I am thinking about you guys:)

Taunya Spaulding said...

jen, so sorry to hear about that sweet little boy!! it kills me when i hear things like that-even if i didn't know them! It just makes me wonder why God choses to take such precious souls at such young ages?? why?
Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! take care!

Peterson Family said...

This has been on my mind lately too because of all the stories I keep hearing about. Life is so precious and when things like this happen everything else in my life doesn't seem so tramatic! And I know I don't understand why everything happens like it does, but there is a plan and a reason for everything. I believe that with all my heart--no matter how hard life can get!