Thursday, June 25, 2009

An Unexpected Surprise

SAYDI JO CARLSON
JUNE 20, 2009 5:44 PM
6 LBS. 1 OZ. 19 INCHES
So, here we are with a little bundle of joy three weeks earlier then we were expecting! Last Thursday night I got a little burst of nesting and I totally over did it. I swept and mopped, made
cookies, dusted the whole house, did a bunch of laundry and a whole bunch of other thi
ngs I probably shouldn't have. The next day my back was really hurting me but I just figured it was because I have such bad back problems from all the spinal taps I've had done. Mark and I went to the Rexburg temple and then later I had a baby shower that my sisters threw me. It was so much fun and I spent the whole night laughing harder then I have in a really long time. All the while feeling a lot of pressure and thinking how low she felt. But I've never carried low so I didn't think much of it.

I got home at and took my shot of blood thinners around 11 pm and I usually take it around 9. This is the reason they always schedule an induction, so that if I can go off my blood thinners that way my blood won't be too thin for an epidural or for other complications. Well, at about 1:40 Saturday morning I woke up because my bed was getting soaked. I woke up Mark with the lovely words, "Baby, my water just broke!" Mind you, I was only 36 weeks and 3 days pregnant so I was a little worried because that's not considered full term. Mark starts asking me, "are you sure you didn't just pee?" Ha! There's definitely a difference!! 

Well, I hadn't packed my hospital bag yet or anything so we frantically start doing that while I call my sister (that thankfully lives two blocks away) and she came over to stay with Weston while we went to the E.R. I had just pre-registered at the hospital about three days before so we were all set thank goodness! They checked me and I was at a 2. Just like with Weston. So my nurse told me if I can make it to the twelve hour mark my blood thinners will be out of my system and then if I want an epidural I can have one. So I'm thinking, how in the world can I make it to 10:30?? Well, my contractions never really got steady and sure enough, 10:30 rolled around and I was still at a 2! So at 11 they started the pitocin and then we were in business! My
contractions really kicked in and at 12:30 I was ready for my epidural. =) When she checked me again I was STILL at a 2. This is exactly what happened with Weston too. So after my epidural things started progressing but still slowly. At 4:45 she checked me and I was at a 5 and I was so upset! She found out though that I had a fore bag of water that Saydi hadn't broken so my doctor came and broke that around 5:00. At 5:30 I felt a lot of pressure and when she checked me I was ready to push! They called my doctor and got me all ready to go. He got there at about 5:40 and told me with the next contraction I could push so I did and out she came! I could hardly believe it was only one push! She did have the cord around her neck (also like Weston) but she started breathing with no problems so we were grateful for that.

She had to spend the first day in the NICU just because she was considered pre-term. She did have some problems with her blood sugar levels and her temperature but we got those taken care of and she did just fine. We've been home since Monday but unfortunately she has really bad jaundice, just like Weston did so things have been kind of crazy with feedings every two hours. And my milk came in yesterday and things have not been so pleasant! I'd rather have contractions then deal with the pain from the milk for crying out loud. =) Anyway, she's doing good and her BILI levels are finally dropping so just another day on the lights and she should be all better.

I feel fantastic. This one was SO much easier. It took me six weeks to recover with Weston and I have felt better then I did when I was pregnant pretty much ever since she came out. I only had to have one stitch and I am pretty much feeling healed up. If the exhaustion and pain from the milk would go away I'd be right back at square one! Weston is still adjusting but he has been nothing but loving towards Saydi. For the most part he ignores her until she starts to fuss! We were a little nervous being so unprepared but things have been going well and I'm so glad I have my little girl here to enjoy!

19 comments:

Tim and Amber said...

oh my goodness! she is beautiful! I'm glad everything went well, especially with her being a little early. That's awesome that you're feeling so good already, except for the milk part :). congrats!

Brett and Cherice said...

Jen!! She is so adorable!!! What a great surprise:) I am glad you are feeling good! Let me know if it is ok if I stop by tomorrow (Friday)and bring some grub:) By the way, I am so glad you got your epidural! When I heard you had her last saturday the first thing I thought was JEN HAD A NATURAL BIRTH!!! ouch!! Then I thought, we did laugh really hard at the shower:) Great job on a beautiful little girl!

Jake and Gretchen said...

Jen! She is absolutely beautiful! I would never look at her and think that she was pre-term. Good job! I hope everything is going well make sure you get lots of rest! Remember that at some point your milk will calm down and life will feel normal again! (:

Taunya Spaulding said...

JEN!! OH MY GOSH!! She is so precious!!! I'm glad you're feeling better and I can't wait to see her!! Good job! Let me know if I can bring anything over or something! Oh my gosh! it makes me want one soooo bad!

Heidi said...

She is so tiny! I pulled out a newborn size diaper yesterday and was just amazed at how small they are....she's beautiful! Congratulations on your little surprise! I hope nursing goes well for you. Congratulations!

Mary said...

Jennifer, she is gorgeous!! If you have pain meds for the cramps definately take those for a few days, after that they ease up a ton. Girls are so exciting!

Ryan and Ashley said...

Yay! She came early, congrats! She is precious. I love her cute name too by the way.

The Christensens said...

Jen what a surprise! Glad things went well. She is an absolute doll! I totally agree with you about the milk coming in....ugh. It's the worst, but a new beautiful baby makes all the pain worth it!

Andrew and Steph said...

Jen she is SO cute!!! I love it and she looks like she has a tan. I'm glad everything went good and she's here to enjoy now!

Crystal Taylor said...

I'm so excited for you guys! She is so beautiful! I hope you guys are still doing good and hope you get caught back up I hate being thrown off guard like that. Congrats she is so CUTE!

Unknown said...

I totally understand about the milk... only I had to bind 'em up to keep it in!! OUCH. let me tell ya. Ice was my friend for two weeks. ;) I was so happy to hear that your sweet little girl had arrived. And I wanted you to know that yours was the first baby I was excited to hear about since Tristan. You've helped me pass another milestone... one of the hardest, I'll add. Congratulations from the very bottom of my heart. She's beautiful and I hope to meet her someday. I love you and good luck with the new addition!

gibandshi said...

Congrats!! SHe is beautiful! I am glad things turned out so good! Take care, and take it easy even if you do feel so good!!

Tasha and Danny Lopez said...

Oh yay!! thats exciting! Im so glad she is healthy and home safe and sound =) Congrats Jenn!!!

Kimber Bowen said...

Jen she is absolutely beautiful. Congrats. I can't believe how early she came. I am glad you are doing well and so is Saydi. I hope all keeps going well for you. Congrats, she is beautiful.

The Pascoe Family said...

Congrats. She is so cute. Glad everything went so well with her being early and all.

Peterson Family said...

Congrats! She is so beautiful! I wondered if you had her early because I swear I saw your little boy at our church last Sunday--unless it was a boy that looked just like Weston. I'm glad that everything went good for you with her being early. I know exactly how you feel after having that second child. I was the same way with my second. I felt great after having him. But for the nursing part--good luck. It is no fun! My first had jaundice also, but my second didn't. But I was more sore with my second and had more cramps when I nursed! Good luck adjusting to everything! Everything will come with time and the pain will go away and Weston will adjust! You'll do fine! So cute!

alisekelley said...

Oh Jen I am glad everything went OK. She is simply beautiful!!! Let me know if I can do anything since I live so close. I was amazed at how fast I healed with Kaylei too. Glad you are doing well!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! i'm glad everything went so well, she is absolutley beautiful! Congrats guys!

bridgetrussell said...

She is so beautiful. That is crazy she came early but she looks totally healthy. Congrats, I am so happy for you guys.