Thursday, September 1, 2011

Keeping Me On My Toes

Oh, Saydi, Saydi, Saydi. What would I do without this sweet little girl? I just had to write about her because she has been doing things lately that I know I will want to remember to tell her when she is older.

A couple days ago she was telling me ALL DAY "I wanna help mama". So I was giving her bills to file as I was going through the pile. I turned around to give her more and she wasn't there. Then I hear the clanking of silverware as she's apparently opening the dishwasher. I booked it upstairs since there were knives in there and sure enough - she had taken it upon herself to start unloading the dishwasher. So she helped me do that but wouldn't let me quit until I had put all the dirty ones in and washed off the counter too.

She also loves to "help" fold laundry. She will get something out and throw it at me and while I am frantically folding it she searches for whatever item her little heart desires and then gets it out and throws it at me whether I'm ready or not! If she's ever upset or throwing a fit all I have to do is ask her, "do you want to help mama?" and she will quit and give her adorable little "yeah" as she follows me to do whatever chore I can create. (Who am I kidding, they create themselves around here!)

This morning however, she was definitely TOO helpful. I had Jonas sitting up in the corner of the couch. He loves to sit there and it helps to put him there after he eats and keep him upright because he has reflux. So I had him there and the kids were keeping an eye on him (they always tell me if he falls over) while I quickly ran to put something away in my closet. I hear Saydi come in my room and she's saying, "I got it, I got it" and I turn around and to my surprise I find her AND Jonas! She was holding him around his belly facing outward and had carried him all the way from the couch to my room. His bright blue, beady eyes were so wide. Shock is not even the right word to describe what I felt! I hurried to take him before he fell or something and had a LONG conversation with Saydi about how she can't do that and has to come get mama to carry Jonas. Neither one of the kids has ever even tried to pick him up but now I have learned my lesson and to prevent further heart attacks I will definitely not take my eyes off of him, ever. Well, at least when my "helper" is around.
I sure am grateful to have such a sweet little spitfire in my life! I know that Saydi will be such a wonderful wife and mother one day because she is already cultivating such wonderful qualities. And even if she does give me stress and wear me out emotionally (this girl definitely has all the colors of emotion!) I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love you Saydi bug!

3 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

oh my goodness! i think my heart would totally sink to the pit of my stomach! that reminds me of a story about my sister and I-I was Jonas' age and ashley was saydi's age, she was trying to hold me while my mom was in the kitchen doing something, well she ended up dropping me off the couch and when my mom came back in where we were, i was just smiling! :) ha! ha!

The Ericksons said...

How nice that you have such a good helper! Now you'll be able to get sooo much done! ;)

Andrew and Steph said...

That's hilarious! My mom said that Bryan did that exact thing to me and she about pooped her pants when he came walking down the hall with me. That's when you got to believe in angels helping those little babies survive older siblings :)